I’m admittedly a sucker for experimenting with unique and creative cocktail ingredients. That being said, I jumped at the chance to check out ChaiElixir, a brand of all-natural, non-alcoholic, sparkling chai tea beverage. ChaiElixir contains reduced sugar, and is available in three intriguing varieties:
- Vivid – a blend of crisp green tea and citrus
- Smooth – oolong tea with vanilla
- Essence – white tea with peach infusions
I dutifully sampled all three varieties in their pure, unadulterated states (sans-booze, that is), and I found all three flavors to be light and refreshing. The tea flavors are not muted, so if you are so-so on tea, these babies are not meant for you. I was immediately struck by the potential for versatility; ChaiElixirs would make an excellent mixer for lighter brunch drinks, but would also pair handsomely with whiskey, rum, or vodka for a crafty evening libation.
Equally appealing is the fact that ChaiElixirs flavor profiles are complex enough to be interesting in very simply cocktails with limited ingredients. To illustrates that idea, here are some two-ingredient cocktails recommended by ChaiElixir:
- Vodka Chai – Two parts non-alcoholic ChaiElixir Fusion; one part vodka or choice. Enjoy on the rocks or finished with an orange peel, cinnamon stick, or other spice garnish for added touch of “Refreshing Effervescence”.
- The Mojito Essence – Replace tonic water with two parts bright, lightly carbonated ChaiElixir Essence mixed with one part rum to create an easy and delicious twist on a decadent mojito. Add seasonal fruits muddled, pour over cubed ice and garnish with fresh mint for a classy look.
- Chai Bellini – “When in Rome”, dive into sparkling refreshment with the delicious peach infusions ChaiElixir Essence mixed with Prosecco or sparkling wine. Present in a chilled flute glass for a sophisticated, uplifting experience.
On the other hand, if you are up for the challenge of preparing something a bit more complex, here are some ChaiElixir recipes from New York Mixologist Jason Walsh you might enjoy:
1/4 muddled orange
1/4 oz Crème de cacao
1/2oz Ginger syrup
3/4oz Fresh lime juice
In mixing glass, muddle quartered orange slice. Add all ingredients, and add ½ cup ice; then shake moderately. Strain over new ice and top off with ChaiElixir Vivid. Garnish with an orange twist.
1 muddled cucumber wheel
1.5oz Aperol Italian Aperitif
1/2oz Fresh lime juice
1/4oz Blended yuzu juice
Muddle cucumber in mixing glass, then combine all ingredients except ChaiElixir Fusion in mixing glass. Add ½ cup of ice and shake well; strain into a martini or coupette style glass and top with ChaiElixir Fusion. Garnish with cucumber slice.
ChaiElixir provided me with complimentary product to sample for this review. Thanks, guys!