Let’s be real for just a second: What even, is the point of ordering a beautiful cocktail if you don’t plan on giving said libation its 15 minutes of fame on social media? My fiancée knows the drill now. (One aspect in which I have him totally trained.) Whenever we order cocktails at a bar or restaurant, he dutifully slides his glass towards me without taking a sip, so I can capture his drink in its pure, unadulterated state prior to his first sip.
Sauza Tequila has picked up on the fact that folks enjoy showing off their beverages; in response, they launched a fun campaign to get tequila fans snapping and posting away on Instagram (and in the blogosphere): the Sauza Pitcher Perfect Picture project!
According to Sauza, margaritas are the most popular cocktail to order in pitcher form; I think we can all agree, there’s just something so dang alluring about an icy pitcher of that limey goodness. (Unless you are Susie, but we won’t go there.) Margaritas also happen to be the most frequently “shared” drink on social media. (I just want to point out, someone gets paid to sit around and figure this stuff out. Where can I sign up for this job?)
Michelle Yam, travel, food and lifestyle photographer, paired up with Sauza to share some tips on the fine art of booztography. This is serious business, y’all.
- Natural light goes a long way in lending appeal to cocktail photos, so take full advantage of sunshiny days, whether it’s on a patio or indoors with sun streaming in through the window.
- Playing with focus can be a great way to set up an interesting shot. Try playing with the tilt-shift function on the Instagram toolbar in order to blur out surroundings with ease.
- Pump up the contrast and saturation to enhance texture and drama in your shot. (pun lightly intended)
- Shadow-jockeying is a thing, especially if you are shooting outdoors. Be mindful of where shadows are being cast prior to snapping away.
- Play the angles. Glassware can be tricky to photograph from a straight-on view. Sometimes, an aerial shot, or shooting from an angle, results in a much more attractive snap.
The next time you prepare a refreshing pitcher of margaritas at home, here are some tips from Bobby Gleason, master mixologist at Beam Suntory, to get your cover girl ready for her close-up.
- Rimmed glasses– or even pitchers- take your photos to the next level. Coarse, kosher salt works best for a salt rim. Try an alternative rim, such as Tjin Spice or smoked salt for added flavor and visual interest.
- Kick up the heat and the color with some fresh muddle jalapeño; reserve a slice of red or green pepper for the rim.
- Opt for solid or hollow ice cubes as opposed to crushed or shaved ice; it photographs better.
- Experiment with fresh herbs for a color accent.
- And by all means, don’t forget the requisite wedge or slice of lime!
Preparing a pitcher of margs capable of evoking tequila envy on Insta is only half the battle though, right? Thankfully, Sauza has shared three Pitcher Perfect recipes that are perfectly refreshing for summertime- and they are easy to put together. No blender required!
Sauza Cucumber Chili Rita
2 cups Sauza Cucumber Chili Tequila
1 cup DeKuyper Triple Sec Liqueur
2 cups fresh lemon sour
Juice of 6 whole limes
Slices of limes for garnish (optional)
Add ingredients to an ice-filled pitcher. Add sliced limes and stir.
1 can Sauza Signature Blue Reposado Tequila
1 bottle light beer
1 can frozen limeade
1 can water
Pour limeade and beer into pitcher with ice. Fill limeade can with Sauza Blue Reposado and pour into pitcher. Finally, add a can of water. Stir.
Sauza Strawberry Margarita
1 ½ cups Sauza Signature Blue Silver Tequila
½ cup DeKuyper Triple Sec Liqueur
1 cup Pucker Strawberry Schnapps
3 cups sour mix
Sliced strawberries (optional)
Add ingredients to an ice-filled pitcher. Add sliced strawberries. Stir.
For inspiration, check out some of Instagram’s Pitcher Perfect offerings, by searching for the hashtag, #SauzaPitcherPics.
TIP: Move around and take the cocktail shots from a few different angles to see which one looks the most appealing. In this shot, the slanted composition of the table shows a bit of interesting texture from the natural crack and stains on the concrete. Postyour Sauza cocktail pitcher pictures, including a bottle of Sauza Tequila, using #SauzaPitcherPics – @MichelleYam
***Sauza Tequila graciously provided me with a fun, booze-filled care package in order to assist me in the process of crafting my own #pitcherperfectpicture.***