Toot toot. Whole Foods is coming to the trolley line in Uptown Dallas! Yes, what we’ve all been waiting for has finally opened … Whole Foods Uptown will open tomorrow, August 12 at 7:30am!
I had the pleasure of taking a private tour of the store … and believe you me, there’s a lot to look forward to. WFU will be trolley themed to honor Rosie, Betty, and the rest–their made-to-order sandwiches on their interactive touchscreen menus even allow you to order sandwiches named after our iconic trolleys! The store even features wood from the very trees removed from the land cleared to build the store which was built partially on historic land. Eight stories of Gables apartments will sit on top of the store and 17 three-story townhouses will line the back of the store.
They have the shelves stocked with everything from (quite literally) soup to nuts–expect the fresh produce … which is now in place–and they’re ready to open to the public. Opening day’s festivities include:
- 7am – Dixieland Band and Notre Dame School cheerleaders
- 7:30am – speeches and the breaking of the 6’ Challah loaf
- 8am – the taproom opens early!!!
- 6pm – Exclusive tapping and tasting of Post Oak Pale Ale (won’t be available to the public until September 18)
We all know what kind of amazing goods and produce Whole Foods features, but let’s get down to the real business … the booze.
The Uptown store will sell beer and wine, which were on the shelves begging to be consumed on our tour. The wine selection rivals that of “the mothership”, Whole Foods’ flagship store in Austin. The beer … phew … imagine in 36 FEET of cold beer. (That’s the length of a typical classroom. Talk about getting schooled!) They focus on local and craft beers in both the grab-and-go area along with the Taproom. (More on that below.)
WFU’s Taproom is complete with 32 seats indoor and space outdoors. (Ya know … for when it’s not hot as balls outside.) Check out their 24 drinks on tap–19 beers, four wines, and even one local bourbon barrel-aged cold brew coffee. Grab a drink and relax on their bar or patio complete with misters, six TVs, and a view of McKinney. Don’t feel like hanging around? Pick up a growler for your beer and/or wine to take some of the fun home. (They’ll even sell kegs if you preorder them!) Unique to WFU? A firkin. (WHAT THE FIRK DID YOU CALL ME!?) The firkin, beside a unit of measurement (1 firkin = 0.697326051 of a keg), is a unique type of keg tapped on its side and theirs will be dispensed by a beer engine.
OH … and don’t forget that sharing is caring. If you buy a beer for someone, they’ll note it on the “BEER IT FORWARD” board allowing the recipient to get a beer on you on their next visit! (Sooooo who’s gonna buy me a drank?)
Other features of the store include:
- Squeeze & Grind — a juice, smoothie, and coffee bar with an imported Italian espresso machine
- A spacious parking garage with multiple floors and two electric car power stations
- Racks for up to 24 bikes and a FREE bike repair kit
- A custom filled cupcake bar (uhhhhh this is the only one in Dallas doing this … can I live here?)
- More then 200 grab-and-go options including pizza by the slice sold 2 for $6!
- A smokehouse with in-store smoked meats (and catering!)
- A bunch of cheeses. (What!? That’s super important.)